culturalpair-university banner



Shanghai University of International Business and Economics
University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
Tongji University
Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Shanghai University of Sport
Shanghai University of Political Science and Law
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
Shanghai University
Shanghai Second Polytechnic University
Shanghai Ocean University
Shanghai Normal University
Shanghai Maritime University
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Shanghai International Studies University
Shanghai Finance University
Fudan University
East China University of Political Science and Law
East China Normal University
Donghua University


Many students dream about going overseas to study. There is little doubt that the world is interconnected and having an international perspective (and perhaps grasp of another language) will make you more competitive in the job market. The number of international students has been on a steady increase year after year. According to the Open Doors Report, popular majors for international students have been the following:

21.1% Business/Management
18.4% Engineering
8.9% Physical/Life Sciences
8.8% Math and Computer Science
8.7% Social Sciences

As you can see, the majority of international students – 1 in 5 to be exact – study business and management. The popular majors for the international students within this field include finance, accounting, marketing, economics, human resources, and management. Following business, the second most commonly studied field is engineering. Many international students recognize that studying in the United States can be expensive, so studying a field where the benefit will outweigh the cost upon graduation is a huge consideration for incoming students.

According to these statistics, the popular majors for international students are greatly influenced by the largest sending countries: India and China. Many of these students who return home after studying such technical skills find that they have a competitive edge. Students are able to find and secure meaningful jobs after having exposure to some of the most novel and up-to-date information, technology and training.


When you think of studying in China, a university admission should be the starting point. You need to identify the area which you would like to study and then look for universities in China which offer the course. It is also important to look at the requirement for admission. Certain courses may demand higher grades while others may be very strict on the areas which a prospective student needs to have studied to earn an admission. Arming yourself with this information allows selection of areas which you know you are qualified at therefore reducing the waiting period. While selecting universities you also need to look at other factors such as cost, the different cost may be offered in different universities, go for one that offers a competitive rate and at the same time maintains high quality. You also need to consider the cost of living, accommodation; meals and transport will form a big portion of your spending as a student, go for an area where costs are relatively low. The timing is also important, know whether the course which you have selected is only available during a given intake, this can allow you to ask for deferral when you have issues pending before the admission.

Getting a place in a Chinese university ought not to be a difficult task; with proper research you will get a higher learning institution which meets your needs as well as the budget. Take into considerations all the factors that might shape your education while in China so that you come up with a decision which will allow smooth learning and successive completion of the studies.

Fees & Expenses

Universities’ Application Fee: From 80 to 120 USD depending on schools and types of courses. There are several ways you can choose to make the payment.

Pre-departure Expenses

Medical examination fee: Chinese government requires international students who wish to study in China for more than 6 months to do a medical examination. You are asked to present your medical examination record when applying a Chinese student visa. Consult your local hospital to know the exact examination fee. In China, it usually costs around 100 USD to do the medical examination in an official hospital. Do physical examination and get your Physical Examination Record will tell you more about Medical examination.

Visa fee: Differ from country to country; you can consult the nearest Chinese embassy for details.

Air ticket: Different airlines and countries have different prices, so please contact the local tickets office for details.

University Expenses

In order to register in your school, you are required to pay the following fees including tuition fee, accommodation fee, insurance fee and medical examination fee (if you are required to do it in a local hospital). The chart below shows the tuition of Chinese universities’.

The General Tuition Fees (each field per year)

Medical field -English-Taught – 2200-7000 USD/year
Chinese-Taught – 3000-6000 USD / year
Engineering field -English-Taught- 2200-6000 USD / year
Chinese-Taught – 2000-5000 USD / year
Business &Managementfield     English-Taught – 2000-6000 USD / year
Chinese-Taught – 1500-5000 USD / year


When you get admitted in a given university in China, you need to secure an accommodation. Most of the universities in China offer accommodation to students while others require them to make arrangement for their own. If a university is offering accommodation, all the students will have to do on how to make arrangement for payment and the conditions which will guide the student stay while in campus. Students who may have missed accommodation within the university premises have an opportunity to stay in apartments, hotels or even enter into an arrangement to stay with a family within the area where he or she is attending college.

There are apartments where students can rent for a given period, the student need to establish houses which they can afford and at the same time where their security is guaranteed. They also need to consider the distance between the apartment and the college; it should be a reasonable distance to allow easy movement to and from school.

Hotels, although they can be expensive but they can provide accommodation to students. This mode is not recommended due to the costs which are involved. The student can put up in a hotel as they search for alternative accommodation.

The student can also opt to stay with a family, within this arrangement the students enjoys a home environment, with an identified family. All his or her needs are well taken care of; the student will get a chance of learning the Chinese culture from the host family. This type of an arrangement calls for the student to be very flexible, quickly adapt to the family way of life.


Chinese Govt to Support 50,000 International Students in 2015

The Chinese government will support about 50,000 international students in China in 2015, and the country will become the largest Asian destination for such students in 2020, Chinese officials said on April 25.
About 320,000 overseas students came to China in 2012, the majority from South Korea and the United States, said Liu Jinghui, secretary-general of the China Scholarship Council.
Last year, the ministry implemented the 12th Five-Year Plan (2011-15) for the education sector. According to the plan, in 2015, the number of international students in China supported by the government’s scholarship program will reach 50,000.
While Europe has become the second-largest destination for Chinese students abroad, “only about 35,000 students came from EU member states to study in China last year, so we will promote China’s education system in Europe now,” Liu said.
Du Yubo, vice-minister of education, said that by 2020, about 500,000 international students will be in China, enabling the country to become the largest Asian destination for international students.
China and the European Union will deepen education and exchange cooperation this year, said European commission and Chinese government officials at the first meeting of the EU-China Higher Education Platform for Cooperation and Exchanges, which was held in Brussels.
“We should learn from each others’ strong points, and boost cooperation in various areas,” Du said.
In 2013, the Chinese government will provide 1,087 scholarships to 27 EU countries, the ministry said.
“The Chinese government has been paying close attention to cooperation projects between China and Europe, our cooperation has a long history, a lot of achievements and potential,” said Jan Truszczynski, director general for Education, Training, Culture and Youth of the European Commission.
China has established 105 Confucius Institutes in about 20 EU member states, and joined hands with the European Commission to set up three programs in three Chinese universities.
For instance, the EU has injected 17 million euros ($22.16 million) to establish the China-EU School of Law with the China University of Political Science and Law, one of the top law schools in the country.
“Every year we’ll recruit about 100 students,” said Huang Jin, the university’s president.
In the next five years, 30,000 scholarships will be granted to Chinese students to study in Europe as well, to help improve the bilateral understanding between China and the EU, China’s Ministry of Education said.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is the cost of living in China too high?
Although prices in China are rising, the cost of living here is still favorable compared with most developed countries. You will be amazed by how comfortably you can live and how strong your purchasing power is. Compared to developed countries, the cost of living and studying in China is relatively low. Accommodation in Beijing is roughly RMB 2000-3000 yuan per month. An average meal costs around 30-50 yuan. The subway has a flat rate of 2 yuan and buses within the city are even cheaper. Smaller cities and those in China’s central and western regions are particularly inexpensive.

Q: How can I deal with the accommodation after arriving in China if I don’t speak Chinese?
Applications for accommodation should be made to the universities before coming to China.
There are many kinds of dormitories in universities, and the prices differ from each other due to the furniture and facilities. International students should apply before arriving in China. If you want to come with your families, you should consult the university in advance. Otherwise, you should take care of the accommodation by yourself.
Students can live off-campus with the permission of the university, but should register at the local public security office within 24 hours upon arrival.

Q: Can I take a part-time job while studying at college?
Tuition fee is generally paid on year basis. According to relevant Chinese laws, international students studying in China are forbidden to be employed, and work-study opportunity is relatively small. So self-financed international students should make the financial preparation before arriving in China.

Q: How should I apply for the visa to study in China?
International students should apply for “X1” visa or “X2” visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General to study in China with the original documents and one set of photocopies of the:
(1) Visa Application for Study In China (JW201 or JW202),
(2)Admission Notice,
(3)Foreigner Physical Examination Form,
(4)A valid ordinary passport.

International students must enter China with the original copies of the above documents. A person coming to China with other types of passports, visas or without the original documents will not be able to register with the institution, nor will they be able to apply for residence in China.
X1 (long term) visas are issued to those coming to China for study for a period of more than six months.
X2 (short term) visas are issued to those invited to China to study for a period of less than six months.
International students should apply for Residence Permit for Foreigners from the division of exit-entry administration of local public security bureau within thirty days upon arrival in China.

Q: What health verification should be presented if I want to go to China?
After arriving in China, international students are required to go to the Health quarantine bureau to confirm the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner within prescribed time limit. Students failing to provide Physical Examination Record for Foreigner must have physical examination at the local Health Quarantine Bureau. If the student is diagnosed to have any disease the laws prohibit entry in China, he/she must return to his/her country at his own expense.

Q: How are health verification and residence permit applied for?

Health verification: Scholarship students who are going to stay in China for more than 6 months are requested to bring their passports, Admission Notice, the original Foreigner Physical Examination Form and the Blood Test Report to the local health and quarantine office within the due time to have their medical examination reports verified. Scholarship students who do not meet the requirements of the above authority will be required to re-take the medical examination. Those who refuse to re-take the medical examination or are diagnosed with diseases that are not permitted to stay in China according to the Chinese laws and regulations will be required to leave China.

Residence Permit: After the health verification, the scholarship students must apply for residence permit to the local police authority with their passports, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) within 30 days upon their arrival.

Note: Expenses incurred in the procedures above shall be born by the scholarship students themselves.

Q: I have already bought insurance in America. Do I need to buy insurance again in China?
International students are required to buy both medical insurance and personal accidental death and injury insurance. You can buy them either in your own country or in China after your arrival.

Q: Can I study in China?
International students from all over the world are warmly welcome to study in China. China’s universities offer thousands of programs for foreign students. Non-degree programs teaching Chinese language and culture are particularly popular, but it is also possible to earn your degree in China. Most degree programs are taught in Chinese and therefore require a certain level of language proficiency. However, an increasing number of English-taught degree programs are available. So you can make a choice according to your own situation.

Q: Can I apply for MA courses if I don’t speak Chinese?
Chinese higher education institutions (HEIs) generally conducts courses in Chinese language. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take Chinese language courses for 1-2 years before their major studies. Applicants who apply to study science, engineering, agriculture, medicine (western medicine), economics, management and law are required to take Chinese language courses for 1 year. Applicants who apply to study literature, history, philosophy, and medicine (traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese herb medicine) are required to take Chinese language courses for 2 years.
Some of the Chinese HEIs offer postgraduate programs and non-degree courses for general and senior scholars in English. Students who apply for these programs are not required to take Chinese language courses.

Q: How many kinds of universities are there in China?
There are two types of universities in China: comprehensive university and professional university. Comprehensive universities have a wide range of disciplines, with tremendous strength in scientific research; Professional universities are generally proficient in certain disciplines and activities carried out by students are full of academic atmosphere.

Q: What kind of program can I choose?
China’s universities offer thousands of programs for foreign students. Non-degree programs teaching Chinese language and culture are particularly popular, but it is also possible to earn your degree in China. Most degree programs are taught in Chinese and therefore require a certain level of language proficiency. However, an increasing number of English-taught degree programs are available.

Q: When will the university start classes generally?

Degree programs: degree programs begin in September at most Chinese universities . A small number of programs can admit students in February or March.

Language programs: the one-semester (4-6 months) language course usually opens in both semesters (starting in both September and February/March); the One-year language program usually opens in September; the short-term courses may have fixed times or may arrange a time at the request of a group of students. Short-term summer programs usually start in June, July or August, and last 1-8 weeks.

Q: Is it easy for a foreign graduate to find a job in China?
Thanks to the economic growth, the opportunities for foreigners who want to work in China have increased considerably in the last few years. In 1996, there were 180,000 foreign workers registered in China and the number is rapidly growing.
Teaching English is one of the main job areas for foreigners in China, while there is also a growing demand for foreign experts in sales, engineering and management, etc. The current rise of China has made it very clear that people who can speak Chinese and have first-hand experience of living in China are going to have a great advantage in terms of employment.

Press Enter To Begin Your Search